Monday, October 26, 2015

Back to THE MACHINE

One of my readers chided me--"enough about Carly, let's get back to serious matters."

His favorite--"What's going on with THE MACHINE?"

I first posted about THE MACHINE on June 13, 2014 when the 'wraps came off' at Discover 2014, and added a bit more, including my personal skepticism about the optimistic dates proferred for an HP introduction by 2017 or maybe 2020, in my post of July 7, 2014

Bob Burmeister, a long-time Silicon Structures eminence at HP for years, sent along the resultant IBM announcement for my post on August 10, 2014.

And then, we knew we'd arrived, when Robert Cringely felt obliged to say "This is all hooey," in his Memristor Vaporware speech that I reported in a post on August 20, 2014.

So, lots of whoopla over a nine week period, and then ... silence, at least from me.

Now, I did post on Sept 17, 2015 a little squib about HP Labs and its heroically shrunken size vs. twenty years ago--I did not include in that posting that "my source" was shaking his head in disbelief that HP Labs is 'betting all' on THE MACHINE.  He described in some detail which projects had been canceled (including, of course, his own) to 'make way for THE MACHINE' which by now, he claimed, was consuming two/thirds or so of all of what remains of HP Labs.

So... where do things actually stand now?  There actually are several "public" descriptions out there, and my guess is that "my readers" haven't found them all, so as a true public service for all folks interested in HP goings-on now, the next few posts will provide an update.

No comments: